Monastery of Aghia Lavra - Peloponnese

Aghia Lavra - Peloponnesse

The one thousand year-old monastery of Aghia Lavra, is the birth-place of modern Greece, and her national regeneration, an Hellenic shrine, one of the most ancient monasteries in the Peloponnese, the pride of the Kalavryta region.

It was built in 10th century but was burnt to the ground in 1585 by the Turks. It was rebuilt in 1600 while the frescoes by Anthimos were completed in 1645. It was burnt again in 1715 and in 1826 by the armies of Turcoegyptian Ibrahim. In 1850 after the rebirth of modern Greece, the building was completely rebuilt.

In 1821, Germanos, Bishop of Patras, raised the standard that signalled the beginning of the Revolution. In the Monastery are preserved the standard of Revolution, the vestments of Germanos, documents, books, icons, the Gospel of Czarin Katherine II of Russia, sacred vessels, crosses, etc. Also the Holy relics of St Alexios, given by Byzantine emperor Manuel Palaeologus in 1398, are preserved in the Monastery. Pieces of embroidery, made with gold or silver threads woven in pure silk materials in Smyrna and Constantinople, are also possesions of the Monastery and they date from 16th century.